Thanksgiving

11:12 PM

I love Thanksgiving. What is better than getting together with family that you don't see often and eating tons of yummy food? nothing. I am grateful for my in laws because they are amazing and they host an amazing Thanksgiving weekend. This year we spent turkey day down in AZ with the Cluffs. We left early Wednesday morning and arrived around 7pm. That day was not my favorite but we survived it. I wasn't sure how Chloe would survive the 10 hour drive but she did amazing. It wasn't until about an hour left of the drive that she really started hating us. At least she slept a straight thirteen hours that night... Thankful here!! :)

Thursday is when it all began. The thanksgiving parade was on in the background while Christy, Aunt Deb, and sisters cooked and prepared for the big meal. The night before everyone had gathered to help put the turkeys in the pit. Have you ever had a turkey that has been cooked in a pit? delish. The meal was a classic thanksgiving feast with turkey, mashed potatoes, yams, green beans, cranberry sauce, stuffing, rolls and don't forget pie. Christy's lemon meringue pie is the best and everyone agrees. Then there were games of diminishing bridge (which we played at least every hour on this trip), visiting, and looking at black Friday ads.  Shanna and I decided we were going to check out Target at 9pm and when we arrived there was already a line wrapped around the entire store. After much contemplation of whether to wait for all the people in line to enter the store and then us enter or to wait in line...we decided to walk to the back of the line but didn't quite make it.  Okay oops we might have cut a few people and by few I mean a lot but it's okay because we got chewed out for it (well Shanna did while I purposely tried to act like I couldn't hear them). After feeling totally guilty, we made it into the store with the rest of the crazy people who like to shop black Friday sales. We separated and searched for the items and we ended up filling up two carts full. They were overflowing. Stephanie and Chad joined us later and after going through the super long check out line twice (don't ask), we made it out of the store with money saved and happy purchases.

Friday morning I woke up bright and early to go to JCPenny for their black Friday ads. I totally wanted to get a pin and win a trip or some money (I always fall for stupid marketing schemes). Well I got three pins and didn't win anything but did buy some really cute polka dot skinny jeans for ten dollars... can't beat that. The afternoon was spent hanging out and playing more diminishing bridge. Later we went to El Charro for dinner which is usually on the must do list. I actually ordered something I liked there... shredded beef tacos.

Saturday afternoon the girls went to a paparazzi party that Stefani Stewart was throwing. She is a family friend and she sells jewelery for five dollars (necklace and earrings together). I purchased a cute turquoise necklace and then told myself that I wasn't going to buy anything else this trip because I had already spent too much. The family went and saw the movie Lincoln which was really good except I really had to go pee half way through but I was sitting in the middle so I felt pressured to hold it... ugh stupid bladder. Afterwards we ate at Texas Road house and stuffed our faces some more.

Sunday, Tanner and I cooked dinner for the Cluffs. We made Hawaiian Chicken which is a family favorite of mine. We played more diminishing bridge and hung out. My college roommate came over with her husband and visited along with Tanner's best friend's family. We all had a lot of catching up to do. Sunday night was when everybody said their goodbyes... but really not for long. We will be back for Christmas.

Every time we come down we always feel like our nephews and nieces have grown ten times as much and it is a little sad to know that Chloe isn't growing up next to them but I guess it just makes the times we do visit really special. We are already so anxious for Christmas to come. This will be my first Christmas away from home and I'm excited for the new experiences and traditions. 

*sorry no pictures: spent too much time playing diminishing bridge.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images