Summer Reading

1:38 PM

It seems like for the past two summers I have had a job that is extremely slow and boring where I find myself with LOTS of time on my hands. Right now I am working as a receptionist for an outdoor movie screen company. My main responsibility (and only) is to answer the phones. On average the phone rings maybe 15 times a day... if I'm lucky. So that being said... I have read a few books already and am going to continue my summer reading adventure.

I started out by reading the Hunger Games series. I was surprised with how Suzanne Collins (author) could capture such a disturbing and gruesome storyline and still keep it enjoyable at the same time. I must admit that I was hooked on the first book and half way through the second... but by the third I was anxious for the happy ending. I would highly recommend this to anyone who loves fiction. Very easy read!

The next book I read was The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I FELL IN LOVE. I don't know why but I am so fascinated with the 1960's and black culture. It boggles my mind that it was not even 50 years ago when blacks and whites were not seen as equal. I know that racism is still everywhere today and not even just with blacks and whites either. I wonder what it would be like to be in Jackson, Mississippi today... and to see how far things have changed... if at all. This is one of my all time favorite books. I read it in 3 days. I can't wait for the movie too... anyone wanna see it with me? I am in the process of reading the Isaac series by Ben Behunin. My mom gave me these books for Christmas and I am just starting to read them. I love the comparisons throughout the books between potters and people. Just like a potter takes the time to shape and mold its clay into something beautiful... we too are molded and shaped throughout our lives to become perfected. This book ties a lot of religious concepts into the story line and it is just an uplifting read. The author is an actual potter in real life and I want to own some of his pottery someday.
Well I am positive I will need some new suggestions by next week so let me know what are some good summer reads! :)

You Might Also Like

2 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images